Friday, August 19, 2005

The Point of Faith

*Please see the comments section under my post "God has a sense of humor" for the inspiration for today's post.*

The purpose of religion is to allow God to work through you to transform yourself, your community, and the world. The world is currently both made by God yet not of God. The transformation of which I speak will bring God's kingdom here on earth. God will be "all in all," meaning that 100% of us will be filled 100% with Him.

It is already happening. In little moments everyday, regular people are allowing God to bring about His kingdom. Where can we see it?

We see it every time you turn towards forgiveness. It happens when you take care of someone who is sick. It happens when you let go of anger and warm your heart towards someone who has hurt you. These situations could be of high magnitutde--for example, joinng the Peace Corps to teach sustainable agriculture to farmers in Latin America. But they can also be more subtle situations, like acting as a servant to your spouse. In fact, a small daily act of faith in God for me is giving my husband the better-looking or bigger plate of food each night. Does that solve world hunger? No. But does it require that I put him before myself? Yes.

"God's Kingdom" isn't necessarily a place; it can be a second in time when you allow yourself to be utterly about someone else's needs, the way God did on the cross. There is no reason to belittle the tiny moments where we achieve God's Kingdom; in fact, it is in these little moments of selflessness that build together towards a life of doing God's will.

John 14:9-10
"Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."

Like Jesus, we can reveal God in our own daily lives in devastatingly significant and ordinary ways.

1 Comments:

Blogger julia said...

This is great:

"God's Kingdom" isn't necessarily a place; it can be a second in time when you allow yourself to be utterly about someone else's needs, the way God did on the cross.


I will keep this in mind more often.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home