Friday, June 17, 2005

Bubbles in the breeze

Speaking of "moments that go right," Grace and I spent 20 minutes the other day chasing bubbles in our backyard. It can actually be quite good exercise when there is a breeze. While enjoying this child-like moment, I also sensed that this game involved a lot of frustration, since upon catching a bubble, we would pop it. We were trying to capture something that was only beautiful if we left it alone. But then leaving it alone meant letting it float away, irretrievably. What a conundrum for myself and almost-2-year-old Grace.

This makes me think of why people are recording their intimate or not-so-intimate thoughts online in these blogs. What's the deal with public journaling, anyway? I came home last night from errand-running and my husband had already read my blog. Day one, already public. That is the point, isn't it? Because we all know how to march ourselves down to the nearest Toys R Us and buy a diary that locks. We can hide the key in our underwear drawer with our favorite garbage pail kids cards (the Pokemon cards of Gen Xers).

Perhaps the masses think that something about their private life is inherently interesting to strangers. Perhaps we all secretly want the people in our lives to read blogs about them so that they can be alternately flattered and pissed. Perhaps we just want to start recording the moments that matter before they flitter away from our memory like bubbles in the breeze.

2 Comments:

Blogger julia said...

i think you definitely tagged it. i'd say it has to be part ego, part time capsule.

speaking of, my friend kelly's subtitle for her blog is something like "a 'better late than never' account" of her family, started when her son was 2 and a half. it's knstrong.blogspot.com if you're interested in reading about her wacky child.

but, scrapbook-ness aside, there's something a little stressful about waiting for a comment. writing for public comment/discourse is completely different than writing in a private journal. it's definitely great and very, very easy for my to click on "9.2003" and read my thoughts in the month leading up to the wedding - that's something i would not have otherwise. i'm horrible about keeping a hand-written journal. the public discussion sort of drives me to keep posting, but it also makes me feel a little inadequate if the discussion doesn't HAPPEN in the first place. i'm gradually learning to not let it get to me. i think i've had enough practice at this very strange genre, walking the fine line between public and private lives.

this post tells me that you need to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. we own the DVD now, so we'll bring it up next time we see you.

love!

8:56 AM  
Blogger scott said...

I think you hit the nail on the head...like Julia said. I too feel this urge to share my thoughts and life with "the world" (which only inlcludes a few close friends at the moment until I get a bit braver...). I haven't felt the comment pressure that Julia feels, but that's because I haven't told many folks about it yet. Although, I do love reading the ones that have been posted!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home