Tuesday, July 19, 2005

"Hell Hath No Fury..."

...like that of a mother whose babies have been awoken by a truck backing up, a dog barking, or any other general nuisance noise during nap time. Seriously, don't these people know that children nap from noon to 4? Even little babies, who nap 17 times a day, have one major afternoon nap. I find myself feeling bad for all the times I was loud in the afternoon before I had kids and knew that other moms were probably seething over their baby waking up.

It's so funny how a life change can suddenly put you in this whole new demographic. I once loved Cheetos; now I lie to my daughter and tell her that they are "Grandma's carrots" when she sees my mom eating them. Once I went out for drinks at 10:00 pm; now I am annoyed when I can't get to bed by 9:00. Once I thought that afternoons were for loud pool parties; now I scowl at the neighborhood kids who are yelling at 2:00, wakikng up my kids.

Even my language has changed: what once was "going to sleep" is now "going down." "Nap-time" is now "Nigh-nigh time" (what, is the "t" too much energy? Actually, yes, it is).

Here are some things that have become acceptable in our house since children: abstinence as a realistic form of birth control, cheerios as a meal, taking a shower becoming an act of pampering, and paying bills with my husband is "time together."

But there is also now time for a walk every morning, a bigger reason to be environmentally sustainable, and rolling down grassy hills for fun.

I'd say life is pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home