Monday, March 20, 2006

Homer and his Ukelele

Why, when we are planning to get together with family and friends, do we always need "something to do?" Remember when you went to college and you stayed up til 4:00 in the morning doing nothing but talking with the people who happened to get placed in the same dorm as you did? You found yourself pontificating on Kurt Cobain being a hero for our times and why organized religion is anti-productive (he's not and it's not, but you were 18 and questioning everything). There was something about that moment in the common area of the dorm, shared with new aquaintances, deep into the night, where people expressed themselves and you felt part of something new and yet familiar all at once.

I have early memories of standing around my mother's parlor grand piano, which was passed down to her from my opera-singing and composing great grandmother Grace. Mom would play and we would sing, harmonize, laugh, roll our eyes, and encourage impromptu solos from each other. At Christmastime, we would gather with my parents' best friends and Mom would put down her glass of wine to come over and jangle out some beautifully cheesy Christmas songs, like "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and "Up on the Housetop." My sister and the kids of their friends seemed embarassed but I secretly adored these moments of communal performance and shared creative expression. (I do not think it a coincidence that my sister, embarassed to sing impromptu at 12 years old, now heads up an organiztion that uses artistic challenges to bolster creative courage in girls and women.)

My mother didn't invent this family music time, either. Her earliest memories are of sitting in her parents' living room, watching their friends pour each other bitters or coffee while one of their best friends, Homer, played his ukelele and everyone sang and danced. And my mom's dad, Paul, would dance with the women since he was the best dancer of the group. I think my mom misses Grandpa Paul the most when she recalls these memories of seeing her father swing her laughing mother around the room while people clapped and sang. She was a little child, peering into the life of her parents, and learning how families and friends actually meant something to one another.

Does this sound cheesey to you? It's not to me. For the past few years, I've been craving more home time and less party time. More countryside and less subway ride. More Homer, and less American Idol. Real time, not reel time. This is why we do not have TV.

This is also why we will be purchasing a real piano in the next few months, despite the furniture designer lady who said, "Why don't you just get an electronic keyboard? They are easier to maintain and are essentially the same thing." I no longer take advice from that woman. The "same thing?" Great Grandmother Grace must have been rolling in her grave. More on the imporance of pianos in a future post.

Besides those great late night conversations in the dorm, my favorite memory of college was the night my choral group went ice skating/hay riding/apple cider drinking and there ended up being an impromptu bonfire where bongos were brought out of people's trunks and guitars were borrowed at a moment's notice and Indigo Girls songs were sung and someone did a bold verion of U2's "Pride in the Name of Love" and it all ended way too soon for me.

And Saturday night, a new favorite memory was made as Mike and Alec came over to unveil their new music video and drink hot chocolate and ended up sitting on my daughters' child-sized chairs with their guitars and played a brilliant version of Dave Matthews' "Seek up" as well as some John Mayer and other original material, and Scott and I warmed ourselves under homemade quilts stiched by my sister and our friend Sasha, and we had to pause several times in fear of waking the kids, and I harmonized and our laughter drifted it's way into the middle of the night before people returned home. But I secretly hoped that Grace would be awoken by the soothing strains of guitar and hushed laughter and that we would find her at the foot of the stairs, listening and peering into our lives, the very incarnation of my mother as a young girl. May my children know from my actions what I think of time spent with family and friends.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

Darn it, Sarah! I'm in tears AGAIN!

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By far, I think this is your best post yet. Such a candid, open look into your life and what leads you to make your family decisions. I sure miss being near you and your family so our families could share more of those "real times." I have been thinking about pianos lately, and your thoughts just made my decision a lot more complicated! Although I didn't share the family music experience, it has become a part of my life I hope to share with my family. Some of my favorite moments with my son are when I play him a song (that I make up the words to each time, and of course it is about him) and he looks at me and starts dancing and bobbing his head. To me this sharing time with him is priceless. Thanks so much for sharing your lives with us.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't play guitar or piano or even the drums, but I get what you mean. It's why I invite people over for dinner, and then move them to the living room for coffee and dessert. It's so easy to transition from yapping over coffee to just yapping.

It's nice, of course, to go out and do something, but when there's nothing much to do, or you haven't talked in a while, it's much nicer to stay in.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Adriana said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for lifting my spirits.
To anyone reading this: PIANOS ARE FAR FAR FAR SUPERIOR TO ELECTRONIC KEYBOARDS. ANYONE CAN AFFORD ONE, START WITH CRAIGSLIST FOR A STARTER PIANO AND GO FROM THERE.
Also: I teach group piano to young children and would be happy to consult with anyone thinking of putting their kids in music lessons. It's so very important.

Sarah: we need to have "cool people" potlucks. Like, "people who value this kind of quality time" potlucks. I've been putting it off for far too long. What do you think?

12:20 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I just got home from hearing some of my friends play at the bar on base. I LOVE live music! Especially when it's in my own living room. I must admit, I loved when TNTV had reruns and Greg or Julia or one of our other wonderfully talented friends would break out the guitars. Even though I "can't carry a tune in a bucket" as my daddy used to say, I sure do love to listen. There is just something about it.

I pray that Benjamin has a love for music also. Hopefully, he will take after his daddy in the talent department though. Unfortunately, I have none to pass on musically but I definitely have a love for it. Just as Scott said, there is nothing better than to see Benjamin light up when Scott plays and sings for him. It makes me smile every time. Those are the times I cherish.

By the way, I gave up TV for Lent and I haven't missed it one bit at all. Why didn't I do this sooner?!

12:11 AM  
Blogger skippy longbeach said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I check this site every time I go online and am sad when there is no new gem from your life.
You have hit on something critical and in danger of being lost in this 21st century world.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for reading and responding, everyone. Franz, your comment made my day!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is touching and tugs at my heart! I sent your blog address to "the boyz" so that they can bring your life into theirs. On GG's 80th birthday at the Broken Bow Country Club, Katie, Ben, Linny, Paul Daniel, Doug, Steve and Mom all broke into song at the bar. Old frat songs, songs that I taught you kiddos when driving back to the Midwest, and songs that dad would have loved. I was in tears most of the time, but loved every minute of it. xxooPops
PS It's always special when you sing GG's compositionns and when Katie sings "Take back your mink and your poils"

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home