Thursday, February 23, 2006

Go to Sleep, You weary Hobo...

We have 3 "night night" CDs that we've played for Grace ever since she needed the car's help in napping almost 2 years ago. She has since learned to nap without the car, but the CDs have worn their way into our nap and night routines anyway. The second track on a great Americana lullabye CD that my dear friend Libby gave us has the un-PC title "Hobo's lullabye." Every once in a while, I hear "Homo" instead of "Hobo" and smile to myself envisioning a poor, lost gay guy trying to make his way through life on the rails:

Go to sleep, you weary hobo,
Let the towns go drifting by.
Listen to that sleel rail hummin',
That's the hobo's lullabye.


But I nearly laughed out loud at the realization today that Grace has had her own wrong version of the song this whole time. The song came on and she said, "I like this one about the hippo." Just picture these poor, weary hippos catching some rest on the trains as they make their way around the bluegrass South.

Go to sleep, you weary hippo...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

That's GREAT!

Benjamin has that CD too and I love it. I don't know just what he thinks of it yet though. I'll let you know who's weary at our house when he starts talking. Hee hee

10:28 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Benjamin and I were just listening to one of his Bible Songs CDs and I had a little hearing problem myself.

The song was "This Train" and goes something like this:
"This train is bound for glory, don't carry nothing but the righteous and holy...
This train don't carry no gamblers..."

Besides the terrible grammar it sounds pretty good, right? Then it starts the next verse.
"This train don't carry no lawyers. No room for hypocrites..."
Yikes! That's harsh for a Bible song. It actually repeated that phrase several times and each time I heard "lawyers." I just had to go back and listen to it again. Turns out the train won't carry LIARS!

Talk about a Freudian slip. Hee hee hee

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Okay, I have one more funny word mix-up, then I promise to stop hogging your comment space.

Yesterday I went to the store and the manager told me that I looked great after losing some weight. She told me not lose too much though because "sometimes people lose so much weight that they start to look dyslexic."

So beware, dieters, you may start reading backwards!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home