Monday, January 29, 2007

Who's your Mommy?

This January has brought on a new page in the book of Grace. The page of sassiness, of unwillingness, of fold-your-arms-in-front-of-you-and-glare-at-your-mommy-ness. A bit of history: for Grace’s first year, we responded to Grace’s cries, gave her a lot of freedom, and tried to meet her physical and emotional needs so that she would develop a strong sense of being cared for. Then she became a toddler and needed more boundaries than that. Every so often (sometimes too late) we tightened the reigns and helped build boundaries to guide her. Eventually (probably with the advent of Natalie when Grace was almost two years old) we added some direct discipline techniques that have been our lifesavers ever since: the timeout and the “do it before I count to three or I will make you/do it for you.”

But now Grace is three and a half, and I am realizing that there is an expiration date on both of these methods. It hit me like a Mack truck the day I struggled teaching a difficult boy in Sunday School that there is an age when I won’t physically be able to make my kids do something, or force them to sit in a timeout. I knew I needed more ammunition.

I read How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish and it seemed the natural extension of the kind of parenting Scott and I have always been drawn to. It is communication-based, with real life consequences, using language that builds kids up instead of tearing them down. And, according to the authors, it is more effective than continuing down the road of timeouts and authoritarian punishment. So I began to use my new skills around the holidays. Instead of saying, “Put your shoes in the cubby or I will make you,” I would say, “Your shoes are on the floor.” (Say what you see.) “They belong in the cubby.” (State the expectation.) “Do you think you can help solve this problem?” (Give the child a chance to decide for herself what to do.)

What a great way to open-endedly invite a child to problem solve! What an empowering way to phrase a request! What a load of horse shit! Instead of responding as the kids in the book did with a “Well, I could put them away, Mommy,” she took my conversational approach as a sign that the Great Debate had begun.

Grace: “How about you put them away, Mommy?”
Mommy: “We all take care of our own things, Grace. I will put my shoes away and you will put yours away.”
Grace: “We can help each other. You put mine away and I will do yours later.” See? She's crafty.
Mommy: “No, you do yours now.”

Grace: “Mommy do it.” (Trotting off to color with her markers)
Mommy, in a fit, “GRACE! PUT THE SHOES IN THE CUBBY OR I WILL MAKE YOU!!!!”
Grace: “I don’t like it when you YELL AT ME!”
Mommy: “I DON’T LIKE IT WHEN YOU DON’T PICK UP YOUR STUFF LIKE YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO! I WOULDN’T BE YELLING IF YOU WOULD JUST BLAH BLAH BLAH”

This was just the beginning. She couldn’t clean up the toys one day with Grammy and Grandpa Chuck because her arms were cold. After retrieving her blanket and wrapping it around herself, she couldn’t clean up because--get this--her arms were stuck under the blanket. And on and on. One day she actually asked me, “What will you do if I don’t do it?” That was not a good day.

I couldn’t place my finger on the reason these methods weren’t working with Grace, but I began to compile a list of possibilities:

1. She is too young. (Although her ability to out-maneuver me in conversation seems to go against that theory. She is clearly old enough to have a conversation about what needs to be done.)
2. She is too smart for me. (Well, we have known this for a long time. This is one of the unfortunate side effects of mating with someone more intelligent than you.)
3. She senses that I am less willing to move to a timeout and is testing the boundary, wondering where it will be, not realizing that I am using an entirely different approach that isn’t based on an immediate consequence.
4. I am not good at this approach yet and need to practice (blame Mommy).
5. I am not cut out for this approach (i.e. I have too many control issues to allow her this much freedom at this age).
6. Scott has not read the book and isn’t using the new methods and so it is confusing her (yes, let’s blame Daddy).

It finally hit me that here is exactly where I was going wrong: I was turning the new method into a debate with a sassy three year old. The point isn’t to debate her or to convince her to follow a household custom (that’s my nice word for “rule”). The point is to give her the chance to come up with the solution. But if that doesn’t happen imminently, and especially if the solution is really an agreed upon “household custom,” there must be a quick, passionless consequence. Instead of letting the discussion escalate until she is telling me to do it and I want to fly into a rage, I need to more quickly execute a calm, natural consequence.

If the shoes aren’t put in their cubby, that shows she can’t take care of so many shoes, and I will take them and leave only one pair out for several days. If the clothes aren’t put in the drawers after she throws them all over her room, I will take whatever’s out and put it up for a week. Same with books. Art supplies. You name it; it’s been “put up” at some point in the last three weeks. Instead of putting her in a timeout, we put the items she isn't caring for in a timeout. We usually keep the items up for a couple of days, and definitely at least through an episode of her asking for them and being upset that they are unavailable. Now that she knows we are serious about her comlying, things are better.

I also realized that I was always stressed trying to get us out of the house on time. I would be running around, making snacks, gathering jackets, filling sippy cups, etc., and Grace would be humming quietly, drawing at the kitchen counter. Every time I’d pass by, I’d say, tensely, “Grace, get your shoes and put the markers away ‘cause we’re leaving in five minutes!” And each time I would be more panicked and she would just continue drawing blithely. It hit me that she needn’t panic. Mom was bearing the responsibility for getting out the door. Well, no more, sister. She has her responsibilities and I have mine and if she is not ready when the dinger dings, we aren’t going.

And then, all of the sudden, the sassiness disappeared. I still only sometimes was successful at executing the appropriate consequence, and I still only sometimes kept my cool, but regardless, she just kind of bounced back to her old self. And this was the most recent realization: kids just push and pull from time to time and it might have nothing at all to do with your parenting style or the amount of timeouts you’ve given in the last week. They are supposed to feel their way around as they become more and more independent. This means challenging us and yes, being sassy at times.

Today we had to break the Compact and buy new storage bins at Target since she dumped out every piece of clothing in the dresser and refused to put them back. She so clearly wanted to see what I would do. You wouldn’t believe the panic on her face as I folded her favorite dresses and put them in the bin. I put everything in the bin save three outfits and a few jammies. Let me tell you, she was panicked. This made me happy. And instead of feeling stressed, angry, and forced to constantly fold these clothes ONE MORE TIME, I felt giddy that I would never have to walk into that room to a flood of clothes again.

At least not until she’s over a decade old. Then all bets are off. Luckily there’s a How to Talk So Teens Will Listen book, too. As long as she learns how to fold clothes between now and then, I think we’ll survive.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger skippy longbeach said...

Thank god you get to experience all this wonderful willfulness before us. Giovanni is just now testing me and I can usually outmanoever him by waiting a couple minutes and trying the request again. His attention span usually lets him down and he forgets that he was defying daddy.
But I can only out-think him for so long. Say, another month?
Hilarious blog, as usual.

9:56 PM  
Blogger PNW Mama said...

Oh my goodness! Welcome to three and a half! I will add some recommendations on books (since you don't have enough to read already). I just finished Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey and it is by far the best book on discipline I have read - hands down. I also know people who swear by the Nonviolent Communication Techniques of Rosenberg and in Alfie Kohn's book Unconditional Parenting. I think these would all be really consistent with your parenting style and the Easy to Love book would probably give you some more tools for discipline. I am now reading Elizabeth Pantley's new one, the No-Cry Discipline Solution, which will be released soon. It also has very practical advice, similar to her Kid Cooperation book, but expanded. I find the books with theory to be wonderful at helping me think about how I relate to my kids (and humans in general), but that the books with practical applications of theory to be very useful.

Congratulations for appreciating the fact that Grace is testing you as a normal part of her development. It certainly makes those maddening moments easier to swallow to know she is not just trying to torture you, but that she is learning and growing by spreading her clothes all over the floor.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love that Giovanni's attention span is too short to stubbornly refuse to obey all day! That is too cute. Thanks for the book tips, Tera. I will check out Easy to Love at the library.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home